All juried workshop applicants will be asked to submit a manuscript for consideration by our jury. Acceptance is based on the strength and promise of the writing sample. Please read the following instructions carefully before completing the online application. Submissions that do not follow these instructions will not be considered. Upon acceptance into fiction, memoir, narrative nonfiction or poetry, you may submit a new manuscript to workshop during Summer Words. This can be different from the application submission. The process for the Book Editing workshop is slightly different.
If you are registering for Beginning Writing, you do not need to submit a manuscript.
FICTION + MEMOIR + NARRATIVE NONFICTION
All applicants should submit a sample of their strongest unpublished work in the genre for which they are applying.
- Word documents only
- 10 pages, double-spaced, 12 pt font, typewritten pages with regular (1.25in) margins.
- We strongly encourage applicants to submit short stories or beginning pages of longer works. For longer pieces, please submit the first 10 pages with a short synopsis on the first page. The 10 pages and word count should include the synopsis.
- Note the total word count on top of the first page.
- Number the pages.
- All pages exceeding 10 will not be reviewed.
- Do not include a cover page.
- DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME ANYWHERE ON THE MANUSCRIPTS. These submissions are reviewed anonymously.
- Please do not submit children’s literature, newspaper journalism, co-authored work, screenplays, or self-help literature.
- Submit a selection of unpublished poems totaling no more than 10 pages.
- Same formatting criteria as above; however font/spacing/marginal requirements do not apply.
- You do not need to include a word count on your document.
- Submit the first 10 pages of your book, plus an author bio, book synopsis, and a brief description of what you hope to gain from the workshop.
- The writing sample must be double-spaced and 12pt font; however the bio, synopsis, and author statement can be single-spaced.
- The total submission should be no more than 15 pages.
- Aspen Words will be in touch with all applicants via email in late March to request full manuscripts, which will be reviewed before making final decisions on acceptances. The workshop-ready manuscripts will be collected from accepted students in late April.