A writer’s favorite, these private meetings with guest editors and agents offer the chance to pitch an idea, receive feedback on a manuscript, and network with professionals from the top publishing houses and literary agencies in the country.
Juried workshop participants are guaranteed two meetings with a literary agent or editor and may sign up upon acceptance into the workshop; consultation fee is included in the tuition. If you would rather not meet with agents and editors, just leave those spaces blank on your tuition payment form.*
Meeting Instructions and Tips
On the tuition payment form, you will be asked to select your meeting preferences and submit your manuscript(s) for the consultations. Carefully read the following instructions:
- The consultation manuscript does not have to be the same manuscript that you submitted with your application. It can also be different than the manuscript that you workshop.
- You may submit one manuscript per consultation. Each manuscript should be a maximum of 10 pages, double-spaced, 12pt font. 1.25in margins. Formatting requirements do not apply for poetry.
- If you would like to consult about the same manuscript for both meetings, just upload one manuscript.
- If it is an excerpt from a longer work, include a synopsis on the first page (synopsis should be included in the total page count).
- Put your name on the first page and number the pages.
- We will share your manuscripts with the agents/editors with whom you will meet several weeks in advance of Summer Words so that they have sufficient time to carefully read your work.
Consultations are assigned through a lottery process. We will do our best to place you with your top choices. Your meeting assignments and times will be emailed to you at the end of May.