A writer’s favorite, these private meetings with guest editors and agents offer the chance to pitch an idea, receive feedback on a manuscript and network with professionals from the top publishing houses and literary agencies in the country.
Juried workshop participants are guaranteed two meetings with a literary agent or editor and may sign up upon acceptance into the workshop; consultation fee is included in the tuition. If you would rather not meet with agents and editors, just leave those spaces blank on your tuition payment form.
Meeting Instructions and Tips
On the tuition payment form, you will be asked to select your meeting preferences and submit your manuscript(s) for the consultations. Carefully read the following instructions:
- The consultation manuscript does not have to be the same manuscript that you submitted with your application. It can also be different than the manuscript that you workshop.
- You may submit one manuscript per consultation. Each manuscript should be a maximum of 10 pages, double-spaced, 12pt font. 1.25in margins. Formatting requirements do not apply for *poetry.
- If you would like to consult about the same manuscript for both meetings, just upload one manuscript.
- If it is an excerpt from a longer work, include a synopsis on the first page (synopsis should be included in the total page count).
- Put your name on the first page and number the pages.
- We will share your manuscripts with the agents/editors with whom you will meet several weeks in advance of Summer Words so that they have sufficient time to carefully read your work.
Consultations are assigned through a lottery process. We will do our best to place you with your top choices. Your meeting assignments and times will be emailed to you at the end of May.