Writers in the Schools is an educational outreach program that brings accomplished professional writers to public schools in the greater Roaring Fork Valley, from Aspen to Glenwood Springs. These writers interact with students in class, at all-school assemblies, and in connection with extra-curricular activities. The goals of this collaborative program are:
- To expose students to active contemporary writers, for inspiration, mentorship, and as positive role models
- To broaden and enrich the literary landscapes of entire school communities: students, teachers, administrators, and parents
- To augment and enhance the existing language arts and social studies curricula
- To demonstrate the power of language and storytelling to develop empathy and understanding
- To bring the written and spoken arts alive for students
Each year, we CONNECT over 3,000 students with contemporary writers, who INSPIRE and ENCOURAGE these young people to be curious, confident, and creative in their lives as readers, writers, and speakers.
CURRENT WRITERS IN THE SCHOOLS PROGRAMS
Visiting Writers: Connecting published authors to English and Creative Writing classes in middle and high schools throughout the Roaring Fork Valley.
Poetry Project: Celebrating youth voices through our annual YOUTH POETRY SLAM and FIRST WORD slam poetry team.
Free Winter Words Tickets: Offering free student tickets to our Winter Words Series.
Thank you to our Writers in the Schools Sponsors